Leh Ladakh’s visit is rendered incomplete if all the tourist spots are not visited. Some of these spots which were earlier open to the public now require an inner line permit Leh. These areas are located near the international borders and thus are categorised under inner permit for security purposes. The process of obtaining this inner permit is quite simple and is not time-consuming. All you need to do is to get a valid ID proof and submit a certain fee to get the permit. The permit is a necessity for all international tourists and domestic tourists who are not citizens of Jammu and Kashmir. Here is your guide about how to get your Leh Permit easily.
Why is the Inner Line Permit required?
An inner line permit is required if travelers want to visit the protected areas of Leh. It is a government authorised letter that grants access to these protected sites for a certain time period. This permit is usually valid for 2 weeks for Indians and 1 week for foreign citizens. Once tourists obtain this permit they can visit the site as many times as they please within the permitted time.
It is required for areas like Nubra valley, Khardung La, Pangong Tso, Tso Moriri, Dah, Hanu village, Man, Merak, Nyoma, Loma Bend, Turtuk, Tyakshi, Chushul, Hanle, Digger La, Tangyar, Tsaga La and others. If you are crossing these areas to reach some other destination then also you will need the permit to take your vehicle past these locations. All other areas and tourist spots except these do not require any permit and tourists are free to visit them at their leisure.
How to apply for Leh Ladakh permit online?
To save the tourists from the meticulous task of standing in queues, the government has made the application procedure online. The process is quite simple if followed in the correct order described below:
- Visit http://lahclehpermit.in/ and enter the URL. The webpage will load. Now, there is a button at the bottom that says ‘issue’. Click on this button and a fly menu will appear. On this fly menu, click on the ‘domestic clients’ option.
- Now you will be taken to a fresh page where you are supposed to fill out your details accordingly.
- Then you are supposed to mention the year you are traveling in, your name, your residence state, and gender. When you now click on the ID type, a drop-down menu will appear. From this menu select an appropriate option for the ID that you would like to submit.
- Now carefully fill out the information on the ID that you selected.
- Mention your complete address.
- After you are done with filling all the information, skim through it once again to eliminate any error. Be very sure about what information you submit because it cannot be changed once you submit the form.
- Now you have to click on the ‘submit’ button. A text box will appear confirming the successful submission of your application.
- Moving forward, you will be guided to a page displaying the places that come under the permit. You have to select the places you wish to visit after getting the permit.
- At the end of the page, enter the dates of your arrival and departure in Leh.
- Now click on the ‘apply’ button for the permit.
- Now a message will appear saying that your circuit has been assigned successfully. When you click ok another message will appear saying ‘inserted successfully’. Again click ok.
- Now a page will appear with your details like name, ID details, resident state, and fee structures will be shown. You can take a screenshot or a print out of this page.
- You need to take this page to TIC OFFICE, OPPOSITE J&K BANK, MAIN MARKET, LEH to make the payment. After you pay the fee, your permit will be signed or stamped, granting you access to explore the beautiful areas of Leh and Ladakh.
What does LAHDC permit cost?
The cost for the inner Leh Ladakh permit (ILP) required for Indian tourists is a total of environment fees and inner permit line fees. The environment fee per person is INR 400 and the inner permit line fee is INR 20 per day per person for Indian nationals. For foreigners, the Ladakh Protected area permit (PAP) is needed and its fee is different from ILP.
If you are applying online, make sure that you do it after your dates in Leh Ladakh are confirmed. This is so because once you submit the form with your ID proofs, you will not be able to use the same proofs for registering again for the next 15 days. Please keep at least 3-4 copies of the approved permit for each area which is kept by the army at each checkpoint.
Other ways of obtaining Leh Permit?
Leh Permit can be obtained by directly going to Leh DC office any time between 9:00 am and 3:00 pm on any day between Mondays to Saturdays. You will have to submit ID proof and fill out the application form. After you have paid the fee you will be given your permit which you are advised to carry along with you as you can be asked to produce it in restricted areas. While planning your trip keep in mind that the DC office is closed on Sundays and on national holidays.
Alternatively, you can also hire travel agents for getting you a permit. They will charge their commission to do it on your behalf. Foreign nationals need to provide their original passports to the travel agents as it is shown to the authorities before a permit is granted.
Manali to Leh permit details
Leh can be reached either through Srinagar or Manali. If you want to go to Leh via Manali then you will have to cross the Rohtang pass. A permit is needed to drive through this pass. This permit can be taken from the SDM office in Manali or via an online portal.
Which documents are applicable for Inner Line Permit Leh?
The process has been simplified for the comfort of the tourists. Any valid nationality address proof can be submitted after self-attesting its photocopy. Leh permit can be obtained by submitting any one of the following documents as per your convenience: Aadhar card, driving license, passport, voter ID card.
There is nothing stopping you from doing any sightseeing in Leh Ladakh. This inner line permit is just a step taken by the government to ensure the safety of tourists. To make your travel more convenient the online application method is suggested as it takes care of the permit before your trip starts avoiding mishaps. You can also ask your tour guide to get the permit for you beforehand. Don’t let this easy process of getting a permit deter you from planning your trip. It is a short process that will help you explore the cold dessert more intensely and will make you fall in love with the mesmerising views.
Bikamp has a campsite in Leh named Bikamp At Leh Camp. If you are planning for an offbeat and adventurous experience, you can get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at +91 – 9818824450 / 9549919666